coffeeandink

Annette R. Federico, Sandra M. Gilbert
Stolen
Annette LaPointe

Woman's Historical Novel: British Women Writers, 1900-2000

The Woman's Historical Novel: British Women Writers, 1900-2000 - Diana Wallace http://coffeeandink.dreamwidth.org/423752.html

The review is from a couple of years ago; I was delighted to discover the price of the book has come down from $95 to $11, which is somewhat better suited to my budget.

What I'd add now, to the old review: The book almost exclusively deals with a very limited strain of historical novels, i.e., white British history with the retro-inclusion of Roman history. This doesn't seem particularly strange to me because I grew up on novels from or post-the British Empire which projected a lot of stuff back onto the Roman Empire and "Classics" (i.e., Roman and Greek classics, with maybe a little Norse stuff and some Egyptian mythology if you were lucky), and a few books that venture outside the UK to the rest of Europe.

It seems really unlikely to me that no women at all were writing historical novels in English set elsewhere during this time period. I don't mind the coverage of the book because I remember many of the writers with nostalgic or even current fondness, but don't expect Wallace's (very good) analysis of gender and class subversiveness of some of the novels to extend to racial or international analysis.