coffeeandink

Gilbert and Gubar's The Madwoman in the Attic after Thirty Years
Annette R. Federico, Sandra M. Gilbert
Stolen
Annette LaPointe

Cold Steel (The Spiritwalker Trilogy #3)

Cold Steel (The Spiritwalker Trilogy #3) - Kate Elliott Third in the Spirit Walker trilogy. This has pretty much the same flaws and the same strengths as the previous books, and I feel pretty much the same way about it. I like it; I don't love it; I like Cat a lot; I am fascinated by the background much more than the plot.

* The pacing seems off, which is exacerbated by the time the characters spend in the spirit world.

* The spirit world interests me profoundly less than the mortal world, with its Mali/Celtic mix in Europa and its Taino kingdom and independent black/intelligent troodon/trade city mix in the Caribbean. This book spends a lot of time in the spirit world.

* Worthwhile bits of the spirit world: Cat's adventures with the skull and ghost of the Taino queen. The follow-up on the Taino/Expedition politics from Book 2, even when the book was in Europe. Cat's bonding with her half-brother Rory's sabertooth matrilineage. There's a lot of good stuff about matrilineal relationships in the book, in fact.

* Aw, man, I love Cat's matrilineage. I love every single thing we learn about Tara Bell. I love the spoilery things about the close friend Tara left behind when she married Daniel Barahal.

* Too much exposition, particularly in dialogue. Too much dialogue with other characters telling us what Cat was like. For once, what other people tell the reader the character is like are actually correct! But I do not need that many other people telling me Cat is rash and forthright and brave and talks back to anyone who disrespects her, because she is already right there doing that on the page.

* I feel like I should like Bee so much better than I do.

* Andevai's mother. Can you be the love interest of a Kate Elliott protagonist if you do not revere and obey older women? I do not think you can.

* I don't really get the Regency comparisons people use to describe this book, because it doesn't feel Regency to me at all. The only thing that feels like that is Camjiata, who is clearly Napoleon, which is why it's jarring every time he appears. (In this book we even learn part of his name translates as "lion".)

* People do speaking tours and write pamphlets to encourage revolutionary action.

* The movements for social justice/egalitarianism are explicitly argued from theories of community-based rights rather than individual rights.

* People yell at Andevai for being obnoxious. I will never get tired of this.